Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Apple Crisp...yes, I know it isn't fall yet!

Today I'm going to share with you the most delicious apple crisp I personally have ever encountered.

It all begins here.

Apples. Granny Smith. They are perfect with the sweet topping, plus they were on sale at HyVee. Score!
Wash, peel, core, and slice the apples into 1/4 inch pieces. Put these in an 8x8 or 9x13 pan (I used a 9x13 because I doubled the recipe).

Mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, oats, and finely chopped pecans.


While the cinnamon's out, sprinkle some (along with some granulated sugar) on the apples and toss to coat them.


Mix softened butter into the flour mixture with your fingers. This will take a few minutes; I suppose you could also use a pastry cutter, although this ends up being more doughy than a usual topping.



Sprinkle the dough mixture on top of the apples and press it down; this is a lot of topping! You won't regret it. Trust me.



Stick it in the oven and wait patiently - this sucker takes 50 minutes to bake.



Let it rest for at least 15 to let the juices calm down. You'll be glad you did.



Then dig in! I didn't actually get a picture of the cut final product....I ate it too fast.
Whoops!


Here's the recipe (and the link to the original copy!):
Filling:
5-6 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
Topping:
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, softened
2/3 cup chopped pecans *these are a must!*
1/3 cup oats
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment